The BIA method (BioImpedence Analysis), either single frequency or multifrequency (MFBIA),
is today commonly used in clinical nutrition for the estimation of body composition parameters like Total Body water,
intra and extra cellular water, fat free mass and other.
The Handy 3000 impedance analyzer performs all the basic functions for a complete BIA analisys:
AC current generator, voltage signals acquisition, impedance calculation, formulas application,
patient data visualization and storage.
The Handy 3000 can operate in stand alone mode (LCD and data entry keyboard on the instrument front panel)
or PC remote controlled mode; in remote controlled mode the PC is connected via an optical fiber serial communication cable.
With the optional Bluetooth internal module the analyzer can be connected via standard wireless communication port.
The instrument electronic board integrates all the up to date technical solutions concerning the treatment
of bioelectrical signals, wich usually show poor signal to noise ratio.
Its main features are:
- System design and building compliant with Medical electrical equipment international standards.
- 16 bit microprocessor system with field level firmware upgrade capability via optical serial interface.
- Management and storage of up to 10 patient data files and 3 body composition estimation formulas.
- Direct digital synteshis of the AC current signal injected; this feature gives stability over time and
minimum distortion, also reflected in the quality of impedance measurement.
- Voltage input circuitry compliant with state of the art professional laboratory instrumentation:
integrated differential amplifier with high input impedance and commom mode signals rejection on
the whole frequency range;
- direct analog to digital conversion that gives input waveform analysis capability and error detection
(i.e: bad electrode connection, too much noise etc.)
- Parasitic cable capacitance reduction circuitry. The natural capacitive coupling between probe cables
brings to unprecise measurement at high frequencies; the circuitry employed reduces the coupling effect
so that it is not necessary to use software compensation routines that normally works well only on
simplified electrical models.
- Measuring menu: impedance and phase angle, resistance and reactance; Total body measurement in 5 frequencies
from 5Khz to 100Khz, manual or automatic increment.
- Four internal rechargeable NiMh batteries.
- Built in instrument self diagnostic routines with high stability internal reference impedance.
- Serial isolated communication port; the instrument can be connected to a remote PC while ensuring
galvanic isolation between the patient and the earth.
- Stand by (low consumption) and auto switch-off capability.
- Autonomy: more than 8h in full operative mode.
- Measuring range: 0 to 2000 ohm, 5 to 250 Khz
- Precision (impedance on 499 ohm sample): ±0,2 %
- Resolution (impedance) 1 ohm
- Precision (phase angle on 499 ohm, 1nF RC network) ±0,5 degrees
- Resolution (phase angle) 0,1 degrees
- Total Body probe cable (4 electrodes)
- Battery charger
- Bluetooth interface module